French Holiday & Travel

Information for visitors to France


Your French Holiday, Hosted by

Documentation for visiting France
Information about :-
•   Documentation for visiting France
•   Health Care - Insurance - Emergencies - Pharmacies
•   Driving in France - Road Signs - Priorité è droite
•   Phone & Fax - Mobile Phones - Internet - Post
•   Customs & Excise - Tobacco, Alcohol & Drugs
•   Public Holidays - School Holidays
•   Electricity - Drinking Water
•   Climate & Temperature
•   Demographics - Measurement
•   Back


Documentation for visiting France

You should carry a valid identification documentation for visiting France with you. Your papers may be checked at any time during your French holiday. European Union Citizens need a current valid full passport or identity card. For citizens of non E.C. countries a passport is obligatory, with a visa for certain countries.

E.C Citizens need a full valid passport to enter France.



Romance Language of 128 Million
An invaluable resource for anyone planning to visit France with over 100 sections taking you from basic French phrases with pronunciation guides, through grammar and language structure to colloquial expressions and abbreviations.

Visitors from the following countries do not require a visa if your visit is for less than 3 months: Andorra , Argentina, Australia, Bermuda, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Croatia, Costa-Rica, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, European Union, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Poland, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, U.S.A., Uruguay, Vatican City and Venezuela.

All other nationals require a visa and regulations vary according to the applicant's nationality. Further information on visa's is available from your nearest French Consulate.

Please note that British Visitor's passports and the British Excursions document are no longer valid for travel within the EC Schengen area (Germany, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Luxembourg, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Austria).

Minors travelling alone must carry authorization for travelling signed by their parents.

If driving in France, you must carry a valid driver's license, the vehicle registration document called a "carte grise" (grey card) and an insurance certificate. If you plan to for stay less for than 6 months, you can drive using your vehicle existing drivers licence.


European Health Insurance card

The E111 form is no longer valid. You will need a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to receive necessary healthcare during a visit to an European Economic Country country or Switzerland.

E.U. Nationals should apply for a "European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) " from your local post office (or apply online here.... This card will enable you to be reimbursed for many medical costs and prescription charges incurred when you return. This card is not meant to replace private health insurance so you are strongly advised to take out travel insurance before you depart.

For nationals of other countries, you should apply to an insurance company to obtain cover in case of illness or accident.